City of Walnut Trails (Part 1 SE side)

A friend of mine told me about several trails in the city of Walnut, California. I was amazed on how many great hiking/biking trails this city has. From very family friendly to some serious climbs, it has a variety for all. I cant wait to get back and explore more. 

UPDATE: I was going to continue covering these trails on my blog, however the friend of mine I mentioned above also has his own blog and has covered the vast majority of the trails you see on the map below. His coverage is so thorough (he even has each trail separated by number and linked to the next trail) that instead of adding to my posts of this area I decided I would rather just add the link to his blog since it is a great reference for those interested in biking or hiking these trails. I look forward to using his blog as a guide to my next ride in the beautiful City of Walnut!

"Part 1 the SE side" covers trails 1,2,5,11,13,26 and a small section of the Schabarum Trail on the map below. 
I love the ranch style trail fences that meander throughout the city and essentially mark many of the trails. The next 5 images are from trail 1.
Walnut was on the list of the top 50 safest cities in California in 2013. When you are on these trails you can see that the residents and visitors feel this is a very nice place to enjoy exercise and beautiful scenery.
"Trail 1" (see map) takes you through beautiful affluent neighborhoods. Then the Northern portion of the trail quickly turns into a wilderness setting.
Seeing a coyote here is not too uncommon as I did this morning.
I love areas like this which allow you to be away from city life even though you are right smack dab in it!
You then come to the Mount San Antonio College fitness training area.
This area is not really on the map. It is North of trail 1
This is East of the Hilmer Lodge Stadium.
Now just West of the Stadium is the trail that is used for the Mountain bike races.
See link below for an actual race here taking place right here. Cool video!
As you return down from this area you re-enter...
Trail 1 again...The ranch fenced areas
These lead you back to...
...Snow Creek Park..which really does have a creek in it!
From here we head West down Trail 1 to La Puente Rd.
Once I got past Suzanne Park Trail 11 and 13 I came to Pierre Road. Here is where it got interesting!
This area is BEAUTIFUL!!! It is like being in the Mountains!
I wish I could pack a lunch and a few brewski's and hang out here!
Kudos to the City of Walnut for creating such a great experience 
To be continued...




1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Mark. (As usual, you're too kind to me.) Some of the trails in the city of Walnut (91789), are in need of some TLC. But overall it is impressive to see how concerned they are about establishing and maintaining these equestrian and hiking pathways. (I wish more cities would follow suit, especially in terms of bike trails.)

    ReplyDelete