27.5 (650B)

Update: I was able to do a SLIGHT upgrade. The bike shop I bought my bike from gave me full credit and I was able to get a GT Avalanche 3.0 for a little more money. It has better shocks, handlebar, brakes, wheels, drive-train and so on. It is not my dream bike and is still a entry level HT, but it makes for a great "go-to" bike for now. I plan on adding a Rockshox Recon Silver Air on it soon and upgrading the rear derailleur to Deore level.

A 27.5 is still in my future plans and I should be able to swing it by the end of the year. Until then I am having a blast on my 26" Avalanche!

My wife jokes that it takes me such a long time to make a purchase of anything big because I research things to death before I buy them. She did say it was a compliment since it pays to really make sure you are buying what you want. I do this with everything...cameras, computers and especially a new bike! 

I am really jazzed about the new 27.5 (650B) bikes. Trek and GT have marginally entered this arena, but Giant jumped in with both feet! I am dabbling with full suspension but based on my style of riding I will probably end up with a hardtail. Here are some of the choices I have been wrangling over.

The Giant Talon 1 27.5 is in the running for me with specs like:
RockShox XC 30 Gold, w/TurnKey lockout, 100mm travel
Shimano HG62 11x36, 10-speed
Shimano Deore XT

It is a tad on the heavy side but still very quick and agile.
-----------------------------
The Giant XTC 2 27.5 is what I really want but it seems like a budget always gets in the way. The XTC is outiftted this way:
RockShox Recon Gold, w/15mm thru-axle, OverDrive steerer, 100mm travel
Shimano HG62 11x36, 10-speed
Shimano SLX, Shadow Plus
Not to mention it is a bit lighter than the Talon.
-----------------------------
I do love Trek bikes and I have not ruled out the Trek Remedy 9 27.5
...however my wallet has.
Fox Factory Series 34 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) adjustable FIT damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, Kashima coating, 15QR thru axle, 140mm travel
Shimano Deore XT 11-36, 10 speed
Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus
Since Trek has NO hardtail 27.5 in 2014 all I can entertain is the Full Suspension. She is a beautiful bike and is amazing to ride. But she is the priciest of them all.
-----------------------------
I also LOVE GT Bikes and the Sensor Elite FS 27.5 is darn pretty!
RockShox Sektor Silver TK 27.5 Solo Air, 130mm Travel, 15 x 100mm Maxle, w/Lockout & Rebound Adjust
Shimano CS-HG62-10, 10-Speed, 11-36T
Shimano Deore Shadow Plus, Direct Mount, RD-M615-D
I am sure everybody on a budget has had these tough decisions and choices. It would be sweet if we could have whichever one we wanted and cost was no issue. But since that is not the case for most of us we read as much as we can and test as many as we can until that perfect fit of price and feel hits us.

As for wheel size choices maybe the Simpsons show knows something we don't. But the hot debate in the forums of 26 vs 27.5 vs 29 says otherwise.
Bottom line is that it's nice we have the variety of choices and as soon as I make mine, I will write a review of the bike and if I made the right choice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment